Hello,

  allow me to highlight the blog story titled
"Microsoft Avalon remarks" by Tinic Uro who works as a
Principal Engineer on the Macromedia Flash Player.

   Tinic writes:

  I spent some time following what Microsoft and Apple
are doing for their new OS versions. The direction is
clear: everything is moving from pixel based graphics
to vector data and extensive graphics hardware
support.

Microsoft file format solution is called XAML, which
is a SVG derivation in many points. But where SVG is
incredibly complex, still lacking some basic
functionality, slow and almost impossible to implement
100% correctly, XAML is simply to the point of what
developers and designers need. There are many reasons
why XAML is interesting, apart from the technical
ones:

    * Totally new user experiences are possible, going
away from the classic widget based systems.
    * Reusing content and making changes becomes
easier. Maybe this is the perfect blend between
skinning and code.
    * Designers can become more part of developing
applications than ever before. The key here is that
Microsoft has to deliver on the tools side. In the
past they haven't shown a particular feel for
designers.

Microsoft has acquired CreativeHouse with their
application called Expression. It looks like this
technology will become the base of their new design
tools. While a nice toy application, I hope it'll
change enough so it will become practical for everyday
use. Or maybe they have those engineers working on
something totally new like it is the case so often
when small companies are acquired.

Skimming over some of the specs of XAML, everything
still looks quite incomplete. If they are at this
stage now it looks like another couple of years for
this thing is ready though.

  Source:
http://www.kaourantin.net/2005/01/microsoft-avalon-remarks.html

  What's your take? Do you agree with Tinic that the
XAML "specs" look quite incomplete and that XAML won't
be ready for another couple of years?

   - Gerald