Lars Martin wrote:
> I see this XUpdate language as the opposite of XPath. Where XPath applies
> read-only queries, XUpdate will apply read-write queries. XPath defines the
> query what to search in the document, but not where to find the documents to
> query. So why should XUpdate define where to find the documents to update?
> The location of the document to update should be defined in the query?

See the problem here is 'location of the document'.  The query language
needs to support querying and updating sets of documents, and therefore
some form of location is necessary for preparing/retrieving those sets
of documents.

> >    - A harness for executing implementation-specific logic.

One of the good/bad things with SQL dialects is that the original spec
only defined the ability to perform DML and DDL operations but didn't
define how server-specific logic should be represented or how stored
procedures should be represented internally.   Because of that, there
are now a bunch of different SQL dialects implemented by different
databases.  I don't think we should be defining an entire stored
procedure language, but I do think we should be able to accomodate a
vendor's implementation within the update language syntax.

> Can you explain this a little bit more? What can I expect from this harness?

Can't explain it any more because it's a just a requirement.  How it
will work has to be hashed out.

> Hmm, XSLT does exactly what we want to do: transformation of a document or at
> least the content of a document. What is the disadvantage of using XSLT?

The disadvantage of XSLT is that it doesn't easily lend itself to node
level transactions.  If you transform from an original document to a new
document with modified nodes, you have a completely new DOM tree (if
we're talking DOM) which means that either you have to do some serious
delta comparisons to determine what has changed in the source document
sets, which is bad, or you have to completely lock entire documents for
update operations, which is also bad.  A language that does not depend
on the transformation of one document to another (especially a
virtualized document) is what we should be trying to produce.  Speaking
of transactions...  We'll need to accomodate those as well.

> Hmm, how will you ensure the correctness of datatypes? Schema?

I'd say validation is a function of the data store itself (whether it be
Schemas or some home-grown or extended Schema system), and that we
should define exceptional conditions where the data store has somehow
not been able to accomodate or produce a sufficient analog for the data
types.

--Tom
--
<name>Tom Bradford</name>