Hi Torbjörn,

On Die, 10 Okt 2000, you wrote:
> I agree that standards must be set. I would be happy to participate in this
> work.

This would be great. Any help is really appreciated. So please join the XUpdate
mailing list and you might be interested to review the list archives at

        http://archive.xmldb.org

> My first thought is: Must something be developed? We already have powerful
> tools in XSLT. Perhaps an xsl-transform with default rule:
> <xsl:template match="* | @* | text() | comment() etc..">
>   <xsl:copy>
>      <xsl:apply-templates select="* | @* | text() | comment() etc.."/>
>   </xsl:copy>
> </xsl:template>
> can be usable as an update language? It probably has everything we need and
> is an existing standard that should be familiar to anyone working with xml.
> As an aside, perhaps full XSL is a good query-language, allowing great
> flexibility of choice in formatting the output of a query (The default rule
> when querying would of course be to just apply templates of all sub-units
> without giving output).

You are right, XSLT is a wonderfull approach but consider the following facts:

        1. XSLT is separated between an input document and an output document
        so it would be very hard to "implement" a sequence of update commands
        which operates on results of previous operations
        2. XSLT is not a very intuitive and descriptive update language like SQL

I'll CC this mail to the XUpdate mailing list because your questions are related
to this mailing list.

Regards,
Lars