I feel I must clarify my position on the conceptual equivalence of a node
and a field (or a row, or whatever).
Please note that I think the node and the xml-database is a better way
because it is more flexible with less trouble, but the fact is that we
sometimes encode metadata in a field, for example the single text-field
"contact" could be encoded as "type;value" like "phone;+46 920 259677" or
"email;[EMAIL PROTECTED]", which would then have to be
programatically split at those rare times when we need just the one value.

So I still hold that as a user it is possible to view my data in whatever
way is more convenient for me. (Perhaps it is even my right?).

Also this nice term metadata is in an xml-document just placed in a node
like everything else, sometimes in an attribute-node, sometimes in a
text-node. There is nothing that forces me to place metadata in an attribute
and "real" data in a "real" node, sometimes the mere presence of a node IS
my data.