[snip]

> > In the working-draft we have a lot of elements that are
> exact copies of
> > their xsl-counterparts. I think it would be better, both
> for design and
> > clarity, if those elements were taken from the
> xsl-namespace instead. So
> > that instead of <xupdate:element> we would write <xsl:element>.
>
> The XML Update Language is a separated application domain.
> Why do you think
> it would be better to mix these different namespaces ==
> application domains?
> The intention of the current WD was to provide a simple and
> powerfull update
> language. I don't believe that every user of the XML Update
> Language would
> know the semantics of XSL/XSLT.

This is probably very much a matter of opininion, but the way the thinking
goes with creating standard documents/elements, you would tend to borrow
elements from other namespaces instead of creating your own version of the
element. Especially if the idea is that they should work the same way. The
reason is that we wish to avoid a large flora of similar elements.

I could refer to my "hund" instead of my "dog", but then you might have to
check if the Swedish word "hund" has exactly the same meaning as the German
one, and especially also check if there is any subtle difference between a
"hund" and a "dog".

The same goes for xml-elements. If they are the same, call them the same, if
not, then make your own definition. If we create a table, we are recommended
to use <xhtml:table> instead of <ourOwn:table> if it is the same type of
element. Why reinvent the wheel unless you really need an oval wheel?

I agree that not every user of XUpdate will know XSLT, but the chance is
rather big that they eventually will, and in any case, the use of multiple
namespaces within an xml-document is not likely to be a strange concept but
rather the way it is done.

But, of course, there might be a good reason for having a new almost
identical element.

[snip]

/Torbjörn Gannholm