On Mon, 7 Jan 2002 09:56:10 -0600
"Timothy M. Dean" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Lars, I will try to summarize as quickly as possible:
>
> 1) There was no mechanism to specify namespaces programatically for
> XUpdate commands. This functionality was defined for XPath queries but
> not for XUpdate. While it wasn't absolutely needed in XUpdate, it seemed
> like a good thing from a consistency standpoint. The changes to support
> this were completely within Xindice and needed no Lexus updates.

Ok. Great. But why no changes in Lexus? Are you calling the setNamespace()
method in XUpdateQuery.java interface? Or how to you pass this parameter
to Lexus?

> 2) When trying to specify namespaces directly in the XUpdate command,
> the Xindice implementation was using the namespace mappings in the
> target XML documents instead of those within the XUpdate "modifications"
> XML element. This seemed to be incorrect behavior because the one who is
> querying a document shouldn't care what NS prefixes were used when
> storing the document. When querying a document it seemed that only the
> URI's of the document should matter, and that the querying app should be
> able to use whichever NS prefixes it chooses (or even a default NS) to
> make sure it queries with the correct NS URI's. The changes to support
> this were mostly within Xindice, but it was necessary to patch Lexus so
> that NS assignments within the XUpdate query were stored for future
> retrieval by Xindice.

Cool. I already stumbled across this problem when using namespaces in
my XUpdate documents. I always had to use the same namespace prefix but
I wasn't aware of this problem. Really great! Good job!

Kindest regards, Lars.