On 25 February 2011 14:51, Bruno Chareyre <bruno.chare...@hmg.inpg.fr>wrote:

> They are beside the scope as long as the question is "how to define in
> general a critical time-step for 2nd order explicit integration of
> acceleration-velocity-position=0?".

Well, I have to disagree here. I think we need first to clearly define our
equation, is it a linear or non linear one? Of course this depends on the
specific contact model being used. In fact, even without damping but with a
non-linear contact law like HM, the critical time step is not the one
proposed by Cundall which holds only if the springs are linear. In fact, my
initial guess was posed in the wrong manner, since I should have specified
what kind of law we are considering here (implicitly I was considering the
non linear case). Anyhow, we could start from the linear spring-dashpot
model.

> Cheers.
Chiara