In [1] it was a good move to remove the periodic barrier.
Filtering spheres is another independent question and I don't see a clear reason for that (testing isDynamic was maybe a bit hacky but less restrictive finally). Making split=0 and split=1 return the same thing [2] sounds good, but the problem was to filter spheres with split=0 in the first place [1]. Before, it was possible to get fabric in a periodic packing of cylinders for instance. Now it is not. Not a progress overall.

What is the problem if non spherical objects are kept in the loop? We should solve this problem without regression.

Bruno