Question #473518 on Yade changed:

Hi Oskari,

In the periodic case, randomDensePack results in packing fraction approx.
0.62, which is pretty good (see [1]). I think in this case the boundary
effects are very strong. If you use spheresInCell parameter, first a
periodic sample is created and then cropped. For 20x10x10 box, I got 0.52.
The limit should be around 0.62

For **just postprocessing** reasons, you can add a box to see actual
considered box:
O.bodies.append(box((1,.5,.5),(1,.5,.5),wire=True))

For the spheresInCell case, you immediately see that near boundary there
are no spheres..

A solution should be not to use spheresInCell, but then I got very strange
results..
Depending on your simulation requests, a solution could be to use larger
predicate with the risk, that some particles will overlap outside the box.

cheers
Jan

[1] https://arxiv.org/pdf/cond-mat/0003416.pdf

an answer contact for Yade.