Question #632092 on Yade changed:

loiseaurare posted a new comment:
Hi Bruno and Janek,

Thanks for your answers, somehow I had come to the same conclusion. Now,
what happens is exactly as you describe it, there is bond breakage when
the strength limit is reached, and at the next step, contact is reset,
but in a frictional way, with effectively unp set back to zero. That
causes instability in a lot of my simulations using the feature fragile
= True, because when Fragile = false the interaction Force stays on the
strenght limit until the particles are set apart. Now, since this is
microscale behavior, maybe I could achieve in doing what I want using
microscale platic behavior, and calibrating it that way. However, I
still feel it is physically more correct to describe rock behavior as
fragile at the micro level ...

To give you more information, I have been testing the sensitivity of
this overlapping problem, I was thinking that maybe a very small initial
overlap would prevent the "jump" in forces to be too strong, or maybe
setting a high value of cohesion would allow the particles to break away
before strenght limit could be reached. But I have found that even a
very small value of overlap with a high value of cohesion definitively
messes the data, and actually usually make the sample explode.

Now, this feature, of keeping fn = 0 until the particles are set apart is what
is implemented in jcfPM I think, so that was probably the choice made by Luc
Scholtes.
I don't understand it when you say that some volume will be created overall,
can you maybe be a little more specific ?

an answer contact for Yade.