Question #654435 on Yade changed:

Robert Caulk posted a new comment:
Ok, I figured I'd open this back up in an attempt to investigate a
suspicion that I now share with Klaus.

Klaus mentions [1]:
"First of all, this is definitely not a Kubuntu specific problem. I could not
identify a specific pattern but I tried various distros on various computers
and the problem seems to be related to certain computers (maybe graphic
card/driver?)."

It is strange that this ipython terminal problem might be related to the
graphic card and driver, but after building a new computer and
installing Yade on Ubuntu 16.04, I found my terminal working perfectly
fine. My older computer has the same version of Yade installed on 16.04,
but the terminal breaks just as described in this thread. One notable
difference between my two computers is the graphics card. My older
computer has an AMD FirePro D3000, while my new computer has a Nvidia
1080 GeForce GTX.

Jan, you mention that your older computer used to work fine with 16.04,
and your newer computer doesn't. Can you report the graphics cards here?
Maybe the AMD drivers are interfering somehow?

[1]https://bugs.launchpad.net/yade/+bug/1604266/comments/11

an answer contact for Yade.