Marking this "wont fix" for now.
Last I looked at Amazon's changes they were not relevant to current trunk,
which runs now on rhel or fedora also.

** Changed in: cloud-init

Engineering Team, which is subscribed to cloud-init.

  integrate changes from amazon

Status in Init scripts for use on cloud images:
  Won't Fix

Bug description:
  Amazon's linux image uses cloud-init: http://aws.amazon.com/amazon-
  linux-ami/ .

  Amazon made changes to cloud-init to support their Fedora/CentOS base.

  the changes should be integrated into cloud-init upstream.

  I'm attaching the cloud-init srpm obtained with: get_reference_source -p
cloud-init
  from ami-3ac33653 (137112412989/amzn-ami-0.9.8-beta.i386-ebs) on 2010-10-06.