Public bug reported:

using Havana nova with python-websockify-0.5.1
I found that the server is not picky enough.
It accepts WebSocket frames with the masked-bit unset
though the relevant standard
says
The server MUST close the connection upon receiving a frame that is not masked.

For testing this behaviour, you can use my code without this fix
https://github.com/bmwiedemann/connectionproxy/commit/1ece2024090cfbacc003f66c036c2fe550fd488a

it is used like this:

git clone https://github.com/bmwiedemann/connectionproxy.git
$INSTALL perl-Protocol-WebSocket
nova get-vnc-console $YOURINSTANCE novnc
perl wsconnectionproxy.pl --port 5942 --to
http://cloud.example.com:6080/vnc_auto.html?token=xxx
gvncviewer localhost:42

** Affects: nova

  novncproxy accepts un-masked client websocket frames

Status in OpenStack Compute (Nova):