Marking this as WontFix only because I think its a feature request, not
a bug and we don't need to keep track of it in the bugs database. Please
submit this as a proposal to nova-specs and blueprint

** Changed in: nova

  Can't determine instance's server_group via 'DescribeInstance()'

Status in OpenStack Compute (Nova):
  Won't Fix

Bug description:
  The 'server_group' function is implemented in Icehouse.
  But we can't determine VM's server_group via 'DescribeInstance()'.

  The only way to get this info is to filter from all server_groups'
memberships.
  That's not an elegant & convenient way.

  ----------------
  Imagine the use case below:

  1. One environment has lots of(like 100) server_groups, and each server_group
involves 100 instances inside.
  2. One instance has been created into one server_group before. Now I need to
create another one with anti-affinity policy with it.

  3. Now how can I determine which server_group should I choose?
  4. The only way here is to list all server_groups info, and filter their
membership using vm's uuid.
  5. More and more workloads will be increased if environment has much more
server_groups.

  So, we need to add one item like 'server_group' in 'DescribeInstance()'s
response IMO.
  The server_group info is already stored in db. We only need to feedback the
relationship of instance and server_group via the API.

  In this case, the step above can be simplified into one step:

  1. Execute 'DescirbeInstance()' to get the server_group's uuid.