I think I'll draft up a nova blueprint spec for Kilo to go over some of
the ideas.

** Also affects: nova

** Changed in: nova

** Tags added: api

** Changed in: nova

  Tempest has no test for soft reboot

Status in OpenStack Compute (Nova):
  Triaged
Status in Tempest:
  Confirmed

Bug description:
  1. soft reboot requires support from the guest to operate. The current nova
implementation tells the guest to reboot and
  then waits. If the soft reboot did not happen, it triggers a hard reboot but
after a default wait of 2 minutes.

  Solution: Provide a new soft_reboot_image_ref, defaults to None, that
  is used for soft reboot tests which. If the value is None then the
  test is skipped.

  2. Because of (1), we should only use soft reboot when we are actually
  testing that feature.

  3. The current soft reboot test does not check that a soft reboot was
  done rather than hard. It should check for the server state of REBOOT.
  Same issue for the hard reboot test.