Public bug reported:

Xenserver relies on guest (domU) to provide information about
the presence of PV drivers in the guest image back to dom0 though
xenstore for various actions like live-migration etc.

It is possible for users to disable the xen agent that reports this
info and therefore causing failures in live-migration.
In cases where
PV drivers are running it is safe to fake the presence of this information
in xenstore. XAPI simply reads this information to ascertain the presence
of pv drives.

Since it is common for users to disable this, we need a way to ensure that if
pv tools are present (we can check this though the presence of pv devices like
vif)
we can carry out a live-migration. We can easily do this by faking driver
version in xenstore
for the instance for which we are attempting live-migration prior to starting
live-migration.

In cases where this info is not present in xenstore, xapi will simply fail the
migration attempt with
VM_MISSING_PV_DRIVERS error.

2014-04-24 20:47:36.938 24870 TRACE nova.virt.xenapi.vmops Failure:
['VM_MISSING_PV_DRIVERS', 'OpaqueRef:ef49f129-691d-
4e18-7a09-8dae8928aa7a']

** Affects: nova

** Changed in: nova
     Assignee: (unassigned) => Sulochan Acharya (sulochan-acharya)

** Summary changed:

- xenapi needs pre live-migration plugin to handle pvtools
+ xenapi needs pre live-migration plugin to check/fake pv driver version in
xenstore

  xenapi needs pre live-migration plugin to check/fake pv driver version
  in xenstore

Status in OpenStack Compute (Nova):