** Also affects: heat

Engineering Team, which is subscribed to cloud-init.

  Cloud Image launched by Heat, creates a "ec2-user" user without Shell.

Status in cloud-init:
  New
Status in heat:

  Guys,

  If I launch an Ubuntu Trusty Instance using Heat, there is no "ubuntu"
  user available.

  Instead, there is a "ec2-user" user, without shell!

  Look:

  No "ubuntu" user:
  ---
  username@kilo-1:~$ ssh ubuntu@172.31.254.158
  Permission denied (publickey).
  ---

  Instead, there is a "ec2-user" user without shell:
  ---
  username@kilo-1:~$ ssh ec2-user@172.31.254.158
  Welcome to Ubuntu 14.04.2 LTS (GNU/Linux 3.13.0-57-generic x86_64)

  $

  $ bash -i
  ec2-user@ubuntu-1:~$ grep ec2-user /etc/passwd
  ec2-user:x:1000:1000::/home/ec2-user:
  ---

  No shell (/bin/bash) for "ec2-user" user!

  Heat template block:
  ---
    ubuntusrv1:
      type: OS::Nova::Server
      properties:
        name: XXXX
        key_name: { get_param: 'ssh_key' }
        image: { get_param: 'ubuntusrv1_image' }
        flavor: "m1.small"
        networks:
          - network: { get_resource: data_sub_net1 }
  ---

  But, if I launch the very same Ubuntu Trusty image, using Horizon,
  then, the "ubuntu" user becomes available, without any problems.

  And, if your specify "admin_user: cloud", for example, it also have no
  shell.

  I'm using OpenStack Kilo, on top of Trusty using Ubuntu Cloud
  Archives.

  Trusty Image: http://uec-
  images.ubuntu.com/releases/14.04.2/release/ubuntu-14.04-server-
  cloudimg-amd64-disk1.img

  Thanks!
  Thiago