** Changed in: keystone

Engineering Team, which is subscribed to Keystone.

  Remove padding from Fernet tokens

Status in Keystone:
  Fix Released
Status in Keystone kilo series:
  In Progress

Bug description:
  In bug 1433372, we determined that we should percent encode Fernet
  tokens, because the padding characters (=) aren't considered URL safe
  by some RFCs.

  We also fail some tempest tests because clients sometimes decode or
  encode responses [0]. We should just remove the padding, that way
  clients don't have to worry about it. When we go to validate a token,
  we can determine what the padding is based on the length of the token:

  missing_padding = 4 - len(token) % 4
  if missing_padding:
      token += b'=' * missing_padding

  A patch can be proposed to master, stable/liberty, and stable/kilo to ensure
that Fernet tokens can be validated regardless of padding. This is important to
consider when upgrading from Kilo to Liberty or Kilo to Mitaka.

  [0] http://cdn.pasteraw.com/es3j52dpfgem4nom62e7vktk7g5u2j1