Unless there are other details, this is working as designed.  If you
don't specify security groups, you get the default security group rules
(which could be empty for your tenant if not configured yet).

Are you using neutron or nova-network?  There are issues when using
neutron and a neutron backend that doesn't support port security where
it doesn't make sense for nova to tell it to use the default security
group, since the neutron backend won't honor it anyway, see:

https://review.openstack.org/#/c/173204/

** Changed in: nova

  nova cannot create vm with security_group []

Status in OpenStack Compute (nova):
  Invalid

Bug description:
  I want to create nova vm with security_group [] in kilo

  nova boot only has --security-groups option, without ---no-security-
  groups

  When I create vm without  --security-groups option, the security-
  groups of vm is 'default'