This would be an API change. I needs a nova-spec to continue.

** Changed in: nova
     Assignee: Ran Ziv (ran-k) => (unassigned)

** Changed in: nova

** Changed in: nova

  Can't add Nova security group by ID to server

Status in OpenStack Compute (nova):
  Opinion

Bug description:
  Nova security groups are supposedly name-unique, while Neutron security
groups are not necessarily so.
  I've noticed that while it's possible to add Neutron security groups to
server by using the security group ID, it's impossible to do so for a Nova
security group (only works by name).

  This is problematic when one wants to add a security group to a server
  when they don't know (or care) which type of security group it is,
  since if they use ID it won't work for Nova security groups, and using
  name might run into ambiguity with Neutron security groups.

  The solution should be allowing Nova security groups to be added to a
  server by ID as well.

  P.S.:
  I've found this bug:
  https://bugs.launchpad.net/nova/+bug/1161472
  The one I'm writing about sounds to me like the next step in this.