Public bug reported:

With wsgi_default_pool_size=100[1], if the keepalived state change
server gets 100 requests at the same time, while processing the requests
heavy load is seen on cpu, making the network node unresponsive. For
each request, keepalived state change server spawns a new meta data
proxy process(i.e neutron-ns-metadata-proxy). During heavy cpu load,
with "top" command, I can see many metadata proxy processes in "running"
state at same time(see the attachment).

When wsgi_default_pool_size=8, I see state change server spawning 8
metadata proxy processes at a time("top" command shows 8 meta data proxy
processes in "running" state at a time), cpu load is less and metadata
proxy processes(for example, 100) spawned for all requests without
failures.

We can keep wsgi_default_pool_size=100 for neutron API server, and use
seperate configuration for UnixDomainWSGIServer(for example
CONF.unix_domain_wsgi_default_pool_size).

neutron/agent/linux/utils.py
class UnixDomainWSGIServer(wsgi.Server):

    def _run(self, application, socket):
        """Start a WSGI service in a new green thread."""
        logger = logging.getLogger('eventlet.wsgi.server')
        eventlet.wsgi.server(socket,
                             application,
                             max_size=CONF.unix_domain_wsgi_default_pool_size,
                             protocol=UnixDomainHttpProtocol,
                             log=logger)

[1]
https://github.com/openstack/neutron/commit/9d573387f1e33ce85269d3ed9be501717eed4807

** Affects: neutron

** Tags: l3-ha

** Attachment added: "top.gif"
   https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1581580/+attachment/4662237/+files/top.gif

** Changed in: neutron
     Assignee: (unassigned) => venkata anil (anil-venkata)

  Heavy cpu load seen when keepalived state change server gets
  wsi_default_pool_size requests at same time