** Description changed:

- NOTE: this was originally reported in cpc-rax bug 1621968.  Re-reporting
- here for tracking purposes as requested.  Please see that issue for log
- files and more details.
+ ==== Begin SRU Template ====
+ [Impact]
+ Instances of ubuntu launched on Rackspace public cloud would have broken
networking and WARN messages in /var/log/cloud-init.log.
+
+ With this new cloud-init in place, any vms launched with a config drive
+ would not work properly.
+
+ [Test Case]
+ Show failure
+  * create a vm on rackspace. using image ba8782e1-ec35-4bdc-b8f7-2f28e343094a
+    openstack server create --config-drive=1 --key-name=brickies --flavor=2
--image=ba8782e1-ec35-4bdc-b8f7-2f28e343094a  my-xenial-cfgdrv
+
+  * ssh will fail to system. go to rackspace cloud console, view the
+ servers' console and log in as root via password provided.
+
+ Now, to fix:
+  * log into system on console
+  * get the proposed package:
+    echo "http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu $(lsb_release -sc)-proposed main" |
tee /etc/apt/sources.list/proposed.list
+    apt-get update
+    apt-get install cloud-init
+  * reboot
+
+ You should now be able to ssh into the system.
+
+ [Regression Potential]
+ Low regression potential, as this is a fix for a regression.
+ It could potentially have fallout on other openstack cloud guests, but only
in cases where there was already failure.
+ ==== End SRU Template ====
+
+
+ NOTE: this was originally reported in cpc-rax bug 1621968.  Re-reporting here
for tracking purposes as requested.  Please see that issue for log files and
more details.

  In recent versions of cloud-init[1], we've found that when we attach a
  configdrive to a cloud server cloud-init crashes before it has a chance
  to complete its tasks - most critically, generating the SSH keys.

  The root of this issue seems to be that cloud-init wants to parse the
  included network config on the configdrive.. Our network config uses a
  "null" vif type, which causes cloud-init to bomb out with an error like
  this:

  Sep 09 14:48:40 shtest2 cloud-init[2910]: ValueError: Unknown
  network_data link type: None

  [1]# dpkg -s cloud-init | grep ^Version
  Version: 0.7.7~bzr1256-0ubuntu1~16.04.1

** Changed in: cloud-init

** Changed in: cloud-init

** Also affects: cloud-init (Ubuntu)

** Changed in: cloud-init (Ubuntu)

** Changed in: cloud-init (Ubuntu)

** Also affects: cloud-init (Ubuntu Xenial)

** Changed in: cloud-init (Ubuntu Xenial)

** Changed in: cloud-init (Ubuntu Xenial)

Engineering Team, which is subscribed to cloud-init.

  cloud-init in xenial crashes on "null" vif type in network_data.json

Status in cloud-init:
  Fix Released
Status in cloud-init package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Released
Status in cloud-init source package in Xenial:
  In Progress

Bug description: