I have moved it to Opinion. As per the discussion on the spec
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/242682/ , we've come to an agreement
that such clean up doesn't belong in Glance.

You are welcome to open a new lite-spec with link to this bug to get
wider input.

** Changed in: glance

Engineering Team, which is subscribed to Glance.

  periodic checking is needed to stabilize DB state

Status in Glance:
  Opinion

Bug description:
  We found that glance's DB state may remain inconsistent/confusing
  without proper periodic checking, in case faults occur.

  Below are two examples:

  1. When "glance image-create" is issued with "copy-from=http://...";
  option, the image state transits from "queued" to "saving," before the
  image is copied from http backend to the glance host. If the exeuction
  is interrupted at this time, then the image will stay in "saving"
  state.

  While in such case, glance does return an error code to the external
  user who issued the command, we believe that keeping the image in the
  "saving" state may confuse other external users. It would be better to
  differentiate a failed image uploading with the case where an image is
  being uploaded. A periodic check may help in this case. Alternatively,
  one can trigger the state transition at the time when the image upload
  is believed to have failed.

  2. If the execution related to a "glance image-delete" request is
  interrupted, then it is possible that the "status" in DB table
  "glance.images" has transited to "deleted" but the "deleted" field
  remains to be False. Since this case clearly indicates the occurance
  of an error, we think it may be better to periodically check the
  existence of such inconsistent states, transit "deleted" to True
  accordingly, and mark the occurance of error probably in a dedicated
  error DB table.