This bug was fixed in the package cloud-init -
cloud-init (0.7.8-1-g3705bb5-0ubuntu1~16.04.1) xenial-proposed; urgency=medium
* New upstream release 0.7.8.
* New upstream snapshot.
- systemd: put cloud-init.target After multi-user.target (LP: #1623868)
cloud-init (0.7.7-31-g65ace7b-0ubuntu1~16.04.2) xenial-proposed;
* debian/control: add Breaks of older versions of walinuxagent (LP:
cloud-init (0.7.7-31-g65ace7b-0ubuntu1~16.04.1) xenial-proposed;
* debian/control: fix missing dependency on python3-serial,
and make SmartOS datasource work.
* debian/cloud-init.templates fix capitalisation in template so
dpkg-reconfigure works to select OpenStack. (LP: #1575727)
* d/README.source, d/control, d/new-upstream-snapshot, d/rules: sync
with yakkety for changes due to move to git.
* d/rules: change PYVER=python3 to PYVER=3 to adjust to upstream change.
* debian/rules, debian/cloud-init.install: remove install file
to ensure expected files are collected into cloud-init deb.
* debian/dirs: remove obsolete / unused file.
* upstream move from bzr to git.
* New upstream snapshot.
- Allow link type of null in network_data.json [Jon Grimm] (LP: #1621968)
- DataSourceOVF: fix user-data as base64 with python3 (LP: #1619394)
- remove obsolete .bzrignore
- systemd: Better support package and upgrade. (LP: #1576692, #1621336)
- tests: cleanup tempdirs in apt_source tests
- apt config conversion: treat empty string as not provided. (LP: #1621180)
- Fix typo in default keys for phone_home [Roland Sommer] (LP: #1607810)
- salt minion: update default pki directory for newer salt minion.
- bddeb: add --release flag to specify the release in changelog.
- apt-config: allow both old and new format to be present.
[Christian Ehrhardt] (LP: #1616831)
- python2.6: fix dict comprehension usage in _lsb_release. [Joshua Harlow]
- Add a module that can configure spacewalk. [Joshua Harlow]
- add install option for openrc [Matthew Thode]
- Generate a dummy bond name for OpenStack (LP: #1605749)
- network: fix get_interface_mac for bond slave, read_sys_net for ENOTDIR
- azure dhclient-hook cleanups
- Minor cleanups to atomic_helper and add unit tests.
- Fix Gentoo net config generation [Matthew Thode]
- distros: fix get_primary_arch method use of os.uname [Andrew Jorgensen]
- Apt: add new apt configuration format [Christian Ehrhardt]
- Get Azure endpoint server from DHCP client [Brent Baude]
- DigitalOcean: use the v1.json endpoint [Ben Howard]
- MAAS: add vendor-data support (LP: #1612313)
- Upgrade to a configobj package new enough to work [Joshua Harlow]
- ConfigDrive: recognize 'tap' as a link type. (LP: #1610784)
- NoCloud: fix bug providing network-interfaces via meta-data.
- Add distro tags on config modules that should have it [Joshua Harlow]
- ChangeLog: update changelog for previous commit.
- add ntp config module [Ryan Harper]
- SmartOS: more improvements for network configuration
- tools/read-version: update to address change in version
- make-tarball: older versions of git with --format=tar.
- read-version: do not attempt git-describe if no git.
- Newer requests have strong type validation [Joshua Harlow]
- For upstream snapshot versions do not modify git-describe output.
- adjust signal_handler for version changes.
- revert unintended change to ubuntu sources list
- drop modification of version during make-tarball, tools changes.
- adjust tools and version information.
- Update build tools to work with git [Lars Kellogg-Stedman]
- fix pep8 errors in mcollective unit tests
- mcollective: add tests, cleanups and bug fix when no config in /etc.
-- Scott Moser <smo...@ubuntu.com> Thu, 15 Sep 2016 09:57:27 -0400
** Changed in: cloud-init (Ubuntu Xenial)
Status: Fix Committed => Fix Released
You received this bug notification because you are a member of Yahoo!
Engineering Team, which is subscribed to cloud-init.
fully support package installation in systemd
Status in cloud-init:
Status in cloud-init package in Ubuntu:
Status in init-system-helpers package in Ubuntu:
Status in cloud-init source package in Xenial:
Status in init-system-helpers source package in Xenial:
in cloud-init users can install packages via cloud-config:
Due to some intricacies of systemd and service installation that doesn't work
all that well.
We fixed the issue for simple services that do not have any dependencies on
other services, or at least don't check those dependencies well under bug
We'd like to have a way to fully support this in cloud-init.
* bug 1575572: apache2 fails to start if installed via cloud config (on
* bug 1611973: firstname.lastname@example.org service not started if postgres installed
* bug 1621336: snapd.boot-ok.service hangs eternally on cloud image upgrades
(snapd packaging bug, but this cloud-init fix will workaround it)
* bug 1620780: dev-sda2.device job running and times out
* bug 1623570: Azure: cannot start walinux agent (Transaction order is
* bug 1623868: cloud-final.service does not run due to dependency cycle
FIX for init-system-helpers:
REGRESSION POTENTIAL for init-system-helpers: This changes invoke-rc.d
and service, two very central pieces of packaging infrastructure.
Errors in it will break installation/upgrades of packages or
/etc/network/if-up.d/ hooks and the like. This changes the condition
when systemd units get started without their dependencies, and the
condition gets weakened. This means that behaviour in a booted system
is unchanged, but during boot this could change the behaviour of if-
up.d/ hooks (although they have never been defined well during boot
anyway). However, I tested this change extensively in cloud images and
desktop installations (particularly I recreated
https://bugs.debian.org/777113 and confirmed that this approach also
fixes it) and could not find any regression.
TEST CASE (for both packages):
lxc launch ubuntu-daily:x --config=user.user-data="$(printf
"#cloud-config\npackages: [postgresql, samba, postfix]")" x1
This will install all three packages, but "systemctl status
email@example.com" will not be running.
Now prepare a new image with the proposed cloud-init and init-system-
lxc launch ubuntu-daily:x xprep
lxc exec xprep bash
# enable -proposed and dist-upgrade, then poweroff
lxc publish xprep x-proposed
Now run the initial lxc launch again, but against that new x-proposed
image instead of the standard daily:
lxc launch x-proposed --config=user.user-data="$(printf "#cloud-
config\npackages: [postgresql, samba, postfix]")" x1
You should now have "systemctl status firstname.lastname@example.org" running.
Directly after rebooting the instance, check that there are no hanging
jobs (systemctl list-jobs), particularly networking.service, to ensure
that https://bugs.debian.org/777113 did not come back.
Also test interactively installing a package that ships a service,
like "apache2", and verify that it starts properly after installation.
Verify that journalctl shows no dependency cycles and that all cloud
init services and the target are active:
$ systemctl list-units --no-legend --all 'cloud*'
cloud-config.service loaded active exited Apply the settings specified in
cloud-final.service loaded active exited Execute cloud user/final scripts
cloud-init-local.service loaded active exited Initial cloud-init job
cloud-init.service loaded active exited Initial cloud-init job
(metadata service crawler)
cloud-config.target loaded active active Cloud-config availability
cloud-init.target loaded active active Cloud-init target
To manage notifications about this bug go to:
Mailing list: https://launchpad.net/~yahoo-eng-team
Post to : email@example.com
Unsubscribe : https://launchpad.net/~yahoo-eng-team
More help : https://help.launchpad.net/ListHelp