Hi,
I've subscribed Xiang to this as he recently pinged me on a different string
that may appear as a network device.  My response to him was:

| This non-sense really needs to stop.
| We need to fix openstack to stop sending arbitrary "types" of network
| devices that mean nothing to the guest.
|
| No *new* ones should be allowed.
|
| 'vhostuser' or 'ovs' means nothing to the guest.  They just see a nic.
| They can't possibly use that information in any way, so telling them is
| not helpful.  The type of the device should be 'tap' or 'ethernet'.
|
| Can you submit a merge proposal upstream that does that?
|
| We can take these things in, but they're silly and quite obviously busted,
| unless you have some information that shows why they're not.

I'm willing to take this, but lets *please* work to fix the source
of the problem.

Adrian,
Can you please file a merge proposal upstream to fix this?

You're welcome to use this bug.  I've made it "Also affects nova".

** Also affects: nova

  The OpenStack network_config.json implementation fails on Hyper-V
  compute nodes

Status in cloud-init:

  We have discovered an issue when booting Xenial instances on OpenStack
  environments (Liberty or newer) and Hyper-V compute nodes using config
  drive as metadata source.

  When applying the network_config.json, cloud-init fails with this error:
  http://paste.openstack.org/show/RvHZJqn48JBb0TO9QznL/

  The fix would be to add 'hyperv' as a link type here:
  /usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/cloudinit/sources/helpers/openstack.py, line
587