Public bug reported:

When installing and configuring nova with puppet-nova (with either
tripleo, packstack or puppet-openstack-integration), we are getting
following errors:

Debug: Executing: '/usr/bin/nova-manage  cell_v2 simple_cell_setup
--transport-url=rabbit://guest:guest@172.19.2.159:5672/?ssl=0'
Debug:
/Stage[main]/Nova::Db::Sync_cell_v2/Exec[nova-cell_v2-simple-cell-setup]/returns:
 Sleeping for 5 seconds between tries
Notice:
/Stage[main]/Nova::Db::Sync_cell_v2/Exec[nova-cell_v2-simple-cell-setup]/returns:
 Cell0 is already setup.
Notice:
/Stage[main]/Nova::Db::Sync_cell_v2/Exec[nova-cell_v2-simple-cell-setup]/returns:
 No hosts found to map to cell, exiting.

The issue seems to be that it's running "nova-manage  cell_v2
simple_cell_setup" as part of the nova database initialization when no
compute nodes have been created but it returns 1 in that case [1].
However, note that the previous steps (Cell0 mapping and schema
migration) were successfully run.

I think for nova bootstrap a reasonable orchestrated workflow would be:

1. Create required databases (including the one for cell0).
2. Nova db sync
3. nova cell0 mapping and schema creation.
4. Adding compute nodes
5. mapping compute nodes (by running nova-manage cell_v2 discover_hosts)

For step 3 we'd need to get simple_cell_setup to return 0 when not
having compute nodes, or having a different command.

With current behavior of nova-manage the only working workflow we can do
is:

1. Create required databases (including the one for cell0).
2. Nova db sync
3. Adding all compute nodes
4. nova cell0 mapping and schema creation with "nova-manage cell_v2
simple_cell_setup".

Am I right?, Is there any better alternative?

[1] https://github.com/openstack/nova/blob/master/nova/cmd/manage.py#L1112-L1114

** Affects: nova

** Affects: puppet-nova

** Affects: tripleo

** Also affects: tripleo

** Also affects: puppet-nova

  Error running nova-manage  cell_v2 simple_cell_setup when configuring
  nova with puppet-nova

Status in puppet-nova:
  New
Status in tripleo: