Public bug reported:

Note: this is exclusively from code inspection.

delete_instance_metadata and update_instance_metadata in ComputeManager
are both guarded by:

     @check_instance_state(vm_state=[vm_states.ACTIVE, vm_states.PAUSED,
                                     vm_states.SUSPENDED, vm_states.STOPPED],
                           task_state=None)

The problem is the task_state=None which, despite appearances, actually
explicitly disables the task_state check, i.e. it does not explicitly
check that task_state is None. This was introduced in change I70212879
and does not appear to have been deliberate.

** Affects: nova

  delete_instance_metadata and update_instance_metadata are permitted
  during an ongoing task