The last screenshot (ipaddrdelifup.png) we think shows what went wrong.
Jason had an rtl device attached to this kvm vm.  It doesn't seem to like
setting the MTU to 9000.
Possibly that is a bug in the driver, or possibly it is a limitation of the
(emulated or real) hardware.

2 fixes:
 a.) do not use mtu 9000
 b.) use virtio devices

** No longer affects: cloud-init

** No longer affects: maas

** No longer affects: systemd (Ubuntu)

** Changed in: curtin

Engineering Team, which is subscribed to cloud-init.

  network interface doesn't come up after installation in VM

Status in curtin:
  Invalid

Bug description:
  I'm installing into a VM. It commissions fine, and deploy works up to
  the point where it reboots after curtin finishes, but when it comes
  back up after reboot, the network interface is not brought up.  This
  means it never finishes deployment.

  Looking at syslog, there is a Failed to start Raise network interfaces
  error. You can see it in the attached screenshot.

  This VM worked fine up until a couple of months ago.