** Also affects: nova

** Changed in: neutron

** Changed in: nova
     Assignee: (unassigned) => Rodolfo Alonso (rodolfo-alonso-hernandez)

  Unable to boot instance with VF( direct-port ) because the PF is not
  online

Status in neutron:
  Invalid

  Description of problem:

  Booted VM with Direct-physical port (The entire PF is associated to the
instance).
  When I deleted the instance I expected that PF will be available and online.
  Actually when I am trying to boot instance with direct port (VF)
  I get this error message :

  VM in error state-
  fault | {"message": "Exceeded maximum number of retries. Exceeded max
scheduling attempts 3 for instance 102fde1b-22d3-4b05-8246-0f1af520455a. Last
exception: internal error: Unable to configure VF 4 of PF 'p1p1' because the PF
is not online. Please change host network config", "code": 500, "details": "
File \"/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/nova/conductor/manager.py\", line 524,
in build_instances |     filter_properties, instances[0].uuid)

  [root@compute-0 ~]# ifconfig |grep p1p1 --->PF is not online
  it's impossible to create an instance with a direct port (VF)

  version:
  Ocata
  How reproducible:
  Always

  Steps to Reproduce:
  1. Deploy SRIOV setup with PF support
  2. boot instance with Direct-physical port
  3. Delete VM that is associated to PF
  4. boot instance with Direct port (VF)

  Expected results:
  VM with direct port should be booted. PF should be released

  Additional info:
  Workaround - systemctl restart network