Any datasource that uses convert_vendordata is possibly affected.

This is bad in that it fails, but not as bad as it could be. Cloud-init
itself never re-constitutes the blob on disk. Its only a convenience for
the user.

What we should do:
 a.) always have vendordata_raw be bytes
 b.) write them as bytes to the file

We can still allow the datasource to use something like 'convert_vendordata'
intelligently to get types other than bytes. We just have to have
the 'get_vendordata' function access a different attribute in the datasource.

ie:
- DataSource.vendordata_raw should always be the raw bytes as found.
- get_vendordata would then use some other attribuate 'vendordata_converted'
(?) to take advantage of the datasource specific knowlege.

** Changed in: cloud-init

** Changed in: cloud-init

** Bug watch added: bugs.centos.org/ #13931
   https://bugs.centos.org/view.php?id=13931

** Also affects: cloud-init (CentOS) via
   https://bugs.centos.org/view.php?id=13931

Engineering Team, which is subscribed to cloud-init.

  On the latest centos 7 release, we are unable to resize our instances
  filesystems

Status in cloud-init:
  Confirmed
Status in cloud-init package in CentOS:
  Unknown

Bug description:
  Since the CentOS 7 update to cloud-init 0.7.9, we've been unable to
  resize our instance's root drives. Of course, since root volume resize
  is not officially supported in openstack, what we do is a bit of hack.
  We basically shutdown the vm -> cinder reset-state --state available
  *volume id* -> cinder extend *volume id* *size* -> cinder reset-state
  --state in-use *volume-id* -> migrate the VM (to remake the iscsi
  mount) -> startup the VM. This increases the volume size and still
  works. The issue is when cloud-init needs to execute the growpart
  module.

  See https://bugs.centos.org/view.php?id=13931

  The only error we get is related to vendordata, which may be preventing the
resize process to happen :
  2017-09-28 02:01:43,641 - util.py[WARNING]: failed stage init
  2017-09-28 02:01:43,641 - util.py[DEBUG]: failed stage init
  Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/cloudinit/cmd/main.py", line 513, in
status_wrapper
      ret = functor(name, args)
    File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/cloudinit/cmd/main.py", line 281, in
main_init
      init.update()
    File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/cloudinit/stages.py", line 357, in
update
      self._store_vendordata()
    File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/cloudinit/stages.py", line 381, in
_store_vendordata
      util.write_file(self._get_ipath('vendordata_raw'), raw_vd, 0o600)
    File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/cloudinit/util.py", line 1755, in
write_file
      content = encode_text(content)
    File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/cloudinit/util.py", line 154, in
encode_text
      return text.encode(encoding)
  AttributeError: 'dict' object has no attribute 'encode'

  This is on openstack Ocata though, and the vendordata has always been
  empty, as we use the default settings for it.

  Cloud provider: we are the cloud provider, PlanetHoster, using Openstack
Ocata.
  version: Cloud-init 0.7.9-9.el7.centos.2

  relevant cloud-init config:

  cloud_init_modules:
   - migrator
   - bootcmd