** Changed in: nova

** Also affects: nova/ocata

** Also affects: nova/newton

** Also affects: nova/pike

** Changed in: nova/ocata

** Changed in: nova/newton

** Changed in: nova/pike

  volume-backed instance rebuild with no image change is still going
  through scheduler

Status in OpenStack Compute (nova):
  In Progress
Status in OpenStack Compute (nova) newton series:
  Confirmed
Status in OpenStack Compute (nova) ocata series:
  Confirmed
Status in OpenStack Compute (nova) pike series:

  Due to this recent change:

https://github.com/openstack/nova/commit/984dd8ad6add4523d93c7ce5a666a32233e02e34

  And the fact that volume-backed instances don't store the
  instance.image_ref value to indicate they are volume-backed, this
  condition will always evaluate to True:

https://github.com/openstack/nova/blob/984dd8ad6add4523d93c7ce5a666a32233e02e34/nova/compute/api.py#L2959

  And we'll unnecessarily call through the scheduler again to validate
  the instance on the original host during the rebuild even if the image
  isn't changing.

  For a volume-backed instance, we have to get the original image_id
  from the volume's volume_image_metadata field:

  https://review.openstack.org/#/c/520686/