I have investigated this further, and it looks like the issue is in my
external network, since a device is bouncing back the arp request, and
this is why the bridge assigns it to the bond2 interface. So what
happens is the following:

default gw<-->physical switch<-->[bond2 bridge tap]<-->[eth0 cirrosVM]

The arp request goes out on the eth0 interface, and enters the bridge on
the tap interface. The bridge assigns the eth0 mac address to the tap
interface, and sends the arp request out on the bond2 interface. Now
some deice on the left side of the bridge (either the physical switch or
the default gw), broadcasts that arp requests back, therefore the same
arp request enters back the bridge on the bond2 interface, and the
bridge assigns the source mac address of the arp request (which is still
the eth0 mac address) to the bond2 port in the forwarding table, which
causes the behavior I have noticed...

This also explains why I see 2 arp requests and a single arp reply when
tracing:

# tcpdump -n -i bond2 arp
tcpdump: verbose output suppressed, use -v or -vv for full protocol decode
listening on bond2, link-type EN10MB (Ethernet), capture size 262144 bytes
06:13:48.581758 ARP, Request who-has 10.20.21.1 tell 10.20.21.114, length 28
06:13:48.581791 ARP, Request who-has 10.20.21.1 tell 10.20.21.114, length 28
06:13:48.582221 ARP, Reply 10.20.21.1 is-at 00:17:08:c4:52:80, length 46

I am really sorry for all the trouble.

** Changed in: neutron

  linux bridge assigns mac address to the wrong port

Status in neutron:
  Invalid

Bug description:
  * High level description:
  linux bridge assigns mac address to the physical external interface instead
of the tap interface, therefore the VM instance that uses the tap interface is
not able to communicate over IP. The workaround I have found is to convert the
bridge to a hub, by setting ageing to 0 (brctl setageing br-name 0). In this
way, the bridge floods all packets on all attached bridge interfaces, and
everything starts working.

  * Pre-conditions:
  I have an openstack pike running in latest centos 7 release (7.4.1708).
Neutron was manually installed as described in the neutron installation guide
at https://docs.openstack.org/neutron/latest/install/install-rdo.html. I have
configured neutron for Network Option 2 (self service networks), however the
setup I am testing here is an external flat provider network with a single
cirros VM instance attached directly to it (without any router in between). The
openstack environment is made of two nodes: a controller and a compute. The
neutron package versions is 11.0.2-2.el7 (latest in centos 7), the bridge-utils
version is 1.5-9.el7 and the kernel version is 3.10.0-693.11.1.el7.x86_64. I
have tested this with cirros image cirros-0.4.0-x86_64-disk.img and
cirros-0.3.5-x86_64-disk.img.

  # rpm -qa | grep neutron-linuxbridge
  openstack-neutron-linuxbridge-11.0.2-2.el7.noarch
  # rpm -qf /usr/sbin/brctl
  bridge-utils-1.5-9.el7.x86_64
  # uname -a
  Linux compute1 3.10.0-693.11.1.el7.x86_64 #1 SMP Mon Dec 4 23:52:40 UTC 2017
x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

  Bridging is configured like below in both controller and compute:

  ml2_conf.ini:
  [ml2_type_flat]
  flat_networks = physnet1

  linuxbridge_agent.ini:
  [linux_bridge]
  physical_interface_mappings = physnet1:bond2

  * Step-by-step reproduction steps:
  This is how I created the provider network:
  openstack network create \
    --share \
    --external \
    --provider-physical-network physnet1 \
    --provider-network-type flat \
    ExtNet1

  This is how I create the provider subnet:
  openstack subnet create \
    --network ExtNet1 \
    --allocation-pool start=10.20.21.96,end=$10.20.21.127 \
    --dns-nameserver 10.20.21.1 \
    --gateway 10.20.21.1 \
    --subnet-range 10.20.21.0/24 \
    ExtSubnet1

  This is how I launch a cirros instance and attach it to the provider network:
  openstack server create \
    --flavor m1.nano \
    --image cirros-0.4.0-x86_64-disk.img \
    --nic net-id=$(openstack network list | grep ExtNet1 | cut -d\  -f 2) \
    --security-group default \
    --key-name controller-key \
    cirros1

  Based on the above, neutron creates in my compute node the following
  bridge:

  # brctl show
  brq75a55ef7-4a          8000.fc15b413e6a3       no              bond2
                                                          tap44bc34bb-e2

  bond2 is the physical interface used for the flat provider network (in
  access mode, no vlans) and tap44bc34bb-e2 is the tap interface
  attached to my cirros VM instance.

  In the bridge, the bond2 is port 2, and the tap tap44bc34bb-e2
  interface is port 1, and both are in forwarding mode.

  # brctl showstp brq75a55ef7-4a
  brq75a55ef7-4a
   <...>
   ageing time             300.00
   <...>
  bond2 (2)
   port id                8002                    state
forwarding
    <...>
  tap44bc34bb-e2 (1)
   port id                8001                    state
forwarding
    <...>

  The network flow is like below:

  default gw<-->physical switch<-->[bond2 bridge tap]<-->[eth0 cirrosVM]

  eth0 mac address is fa:16:3e:cc:dc:ec.

  After the cirros VM comes up, it is not able to get an IP address from
  the DHCP agent, and there is no IP communication. Therefore I have to
  use the console and manually assign the corresponding IP address to
  the cirros VM eth0 interface, but still the IP connectivity does not
  work, since I cannot ping any external IPs, even in the same
  10.20.21.0/24 subnet.

  What I have found is that in the bridge forwarding table, the bridge
  wrongly assigns the eth0 mac address to the port 2, which is bond2
  interface, instead of assigning it to the port 1, which is the tap
  interface. This happens only if the arp table in the cirros VM
  instance does not contain the mac address of the destination IP I am
  pinging (default gw in this case), so the cirros VM sends an arp
  request (Request who-has 10.203.219.1 tell 10.203.219.114). See below
  the eth0 mac address wrongly  assigned in the forwarding table to the
  port 2:

  # brctl showmacs brq75a55ef7-4a | grep fa:16:3e:cc:dc:ec
    2     fa:16:3e:cc:dc:ec       no                 0.39

  However, since the eth0 mac address is wrongly assigned to the port2,
  the arp reply back (Reply 10.203.219.1 is-at 00:17:08:c4:52:80) does
  not reach anymore eth0. Using a tcpdump, I can see in the compute node
  the arp request going through the tap interface an the bridge, however
  the arp reply back does not show up anymore on the tap interface.
  Since the arp reply back does not reach the eth0, the arp table in the
  cirros VM does not contain the proper entries, and therefore the IP
  communication (ping in my case) does not work.

  The strange thing is that after a while, for apparently no reason, a
  single arp reply back packet gets through the bridge and the tap
  interface, and the arp table gets updated with correct mac address in
  the cirros VM instance, and I am able to ping that IP address.

  If I manually add the mac address of the destination IP I am pining
  into the cirros VM instance arp table, and there is no arp request
  sent, just icmp packets going out, then the bridge correctly assigns
  the eth0 mac address to the port 1, which is the tap interface, and
  everything starts working fine. See below the eth0 mac address
  correctly assigned in the forwarding table to the port 1:

  # brctl showmacs brq75a55ef7-4a | grep fa:16:3e:cc:dc:ec
    1     fa:16:3e:cc:dc:ec       no                 0.09

  The only workaround I have found to this issue is to configure the bridge
ageing time to zero, converting the bridge into a hub so that it floods all
packets on all ports.

  It is also strange that in the bridge forwarding table, the bond0 and tap
interface mac addresses are shown twice, as seen below:

  # brctl showmacs brq75a55ef7-4a | grep yes
    2     fc:15:b4:13:e6:a3       yes                0.00
    2     fc:15:b4:13:e6:a3       yes                0.00
    1     fe:16:3e:cc:dc:ec       yes                0.00
    1     fe:16:3e:cc:dc:ec       yes                0.00

  I have tested this in an all-in-one openstack installation running in
  a vmware centos 7 VM, that has a single interface configured in
  promiscuous mode in the vmware portgroup (therefore no interface
  bonding like in the previous setup), and the same issue happens,
  therefore I do not think this is caused by the bonding interface.