That could be understandable that max_unit should be limited to what you can
actually consume, so I tend to agree with you, but fixing that would imply two
things :
 - it would be a huge upgrade problem, because every compute would now need to
modify its inventory
 - we would have a dependency between max_unit and reserved, which I feel
shouldn't

For that reason, since we already verify the reserved space, I think
it's just something like a detail that wouldn't need to be modified.

** Changed in: nova

  nova-compute resource tracker ignores 'reserved' while reporting
  'max_unit'

Status in OpenStack Compute (nova):
  Triaged

Bug description:
  The following inventory was reported after a fresh devstack build:

  curl --silent \
      --header "Accept: application/json" \
      --header "Content-Type: application/json" \
      --header "OpenStack-API-Version: placement latest" \
      --header "X-Auth-Token: ${TOKEN:?}" \
      -X GET
http://127.0.0.1/placement/resource_providers/8d4d7926-df76-42e5-b5da-67893468f5cb/inventories
 | json_pp
  {
     "resource_provider_generation" : 1,
     "inventories" : {
        "DISK_GB" : {
           "max_unit" : 19,
           "min_unit" : 1,
           "allocation_ratio" : 1,
           "step_size" : 1,
           "reserved" : 0,
           "total" : 19
        },
        "MEMORY_MB" : {
           "allocation_ratio" : 1.5,
           "max_unit" : 5967,
           "min_unit" : 1,
           "reserved" : 512,
           "step_size" : 1,
           "total" : 5967
        },
        "VCPU" : {
           "allocation_ratio" : 16,
           "min_unit" : 1,
           "max_unit" : 2,
           "reserved" : 0,
           "step_size" : 1,
           "total" : 2
        }
     }
  }

  IMO the correct max_unit value of the MEMORY_MB resource would be
  (total - reserved). But today it equals the total value.

  nova commit: 9e9b3e1
  devstack commit: fbdefac
  devstack config: ENABLED_SERVICES+=,placement-api,placement-client