[Expired for cloud-init because there has been no activity for 60 days.]

** Changed in: cloud-init

Engineering Team, which is subscribed to cloud-init.

  cloud-init aws doesn't changing 50-cloud-init.cfg on boot

Status in cloud-init:
  Expired

Bug description:
  Hi there,

  I notice that using the latest version of cloud-init on ubuntu xenial running
on AWS the cloud-init isn't changing the 50-cloud-init.cfg file on boot, that
behavior can turn the instance unreachable in some cases.
  A particular case is when you change the instance type from t2.* to r4.* and
try to enable the ENA support, the network changes from eth0 to ens3 and the
50-cloud-init.cfg isn't changed to reflect it and turns the instance
unreachable.

  To identify:
  Launch an instance on us-east-1 using an old ami (ami-e13739f6) and manually
change the file /etc/network/interfaces.d/50-cloud-init.cfg.
  After a stop/start, the file is regenerated

  Launch an instance on us-east-1 using the latest ami (ami-66506c1c) and
anually change the file /etc/network/interfaces.d/50-cloud-init.cfg.
  After a stop/start, the file remains the same.

  I cannot found if it's a bug or an expected behavior, however, it
  seems a bug as the file has a message saying that "Changes to it will
  not persist across an instance."