Public bug reported:

Hello All,

I just installed xenial on eucalyptus 4.4 and I get the following
message when I log in as root.

# This system is using the EC2 Metadata Service, but does not appear to  #
# be running on Amazon EC2 or one of cloud-init's known platforms that   #
# provide a EC2 Metadata service. In the future, cloud-init may stop     #
# reading metadata from the EC2 Metadata Service unless the platform can #
# be identified.                                                         #
#                                                                        #
# If you are seeing this message, please file a bug against              #
# cloud-init at                                                          #
#    https://bugs.launchpad.net/cloud-init/+filebug?field.tags=dsid      #
# Make sure to include the cloud provider your instance is               #
# running on.                                                            #
#                                                                        #
# For more information see                                               #
#   https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1660385                              #
#                                                                        #
# After you have filed a bug, you can disable this warning by            #
# launching your instance with the cloud-config below, or                #
# putting that content into                                              #
#    /etc/cloud/cloud.cfg.d/99-ec2-datasource.cfg                        #
#                                                                        #
# #cloud-config                                                          #
# datasource:                                                            #
#  Ec2:                                                                  #
#   strict_id: false                                                     #

eucalyptus (once part of ubuntu) is an open source cloud platform that
emulates AWS.  It went through a commercial phase but it is now licensed
under BSD and has returned to its pure open source status.  There is a
small but active user community and it is seeing traction in IoT.

I'm guessing that xenial recognized that the metadata service supported
by eucalyptus isn't EC2.  Further, I can't seem to get 18.04 to run
properly.  It boots but the network will not respond.  Based on this
message I surmise that 18.04 is simply disabling the network due to an
unrecognized metadata service.

We use eucalyptus for graduate student research and many of the students
would prefer to use ubuntu.  It would be helpful if you could add it to
the list of cloud providers cloudinit recognizes.

Thanks for your time.

Rich

** Affects: cloud-init

** Tags: dsid

Engineering Team, which is subscribed to cloud-init.

  cloudinit doesn't recognize eucalyptus metadata service

Status in cloud-init: