This isn't really supported. You should be configuring
[upgrade_levels]/compute to pike:

https://docs.openstack.org/nova/latest/configuration/config.html#upgrade_levels.compute

Until you get everything upgraded to Queens at which point you can
remove the RPC version pin.

** Changed in: nova

  Queens compute  node is not compatible with Pike Controller node

Status in OpenStack Compute (nova):
  Invalid

Bug description:
  Description
  ===========

  We Have OpenStack Pike running on Ubuntu 16.04.
  As per OpenStack documentation, compute node should support N+1 version of
controller.
  But when we upgrade the controller node, we get below error on compute side
for all actions performed.

  ERROR oslo_messaging.rpc.server UnsupportedVersion: Endpoint does not
  support RPC version 5.0. Attempted method: build_and_run_instance

  The RPC version of Pike compute is not supported with RPC version of
  Queens controller.

  Thus we are unable to upgrade this setup.

  Steps to reproduce
  ==================

  1. Setup openstack Pike on Ubuntu 16.04
  2. Upgrade controller node to Queens by adding new keys
  3. Synch db, restart (standard upgrade process)
  4. After successful upgrade of controller node, check functions of nova
(create instance, start/stop instance) Here controller is on Queens and Compute
is on Pike
  5. You should get error that RPC versions are not supported

  Expected result
  ===============

  Compute Should be compatible with N+1 version of OpenStack.
  In This case, this scenario must be supported and compute functions must work.

  Actual result

  All compute related functions fails. Start/stop/reboot instance fails.

  Logs

  ERROR oslo_messaging.rpc.server UnsupportedVersion: Endpoint does not
  support RPC version 5.0. Attempted method: build_and_run_instance

  Environment