Hi Albert,

Thanks for filing this bug!  Having root's password locked is a sensible
default from a security POV, so we're unlikely to change this.  If you
have a compelling reason that we should change this, please do reopen
this bug.

Thanks!

** Changed in: cloud-init

Engineering Team, which is subscribed to cloud-init.

  lock_passwd should not be true by default

Status in cloud-init:
  Invalid

Bug description:
  I used the users module to add an authorized key to the root user:
  users:
    - name: root
      ssh-authorized_keys:
        - {{ authorized_key }}

  I was surprised to find that root's password was locked after this
  operation - the lock_passwd key has a default of true.  Is there a
  reason why the locked status can't be left just the way it was,
  instead of locking it by default?