** Also affects: oslo.service

** Also affects: openstack-ansible

** Changed in: openstack-ansible

     Assignee: (unassigned) => Mohammed Naser (mnaser)

  Reloading compute with SIGHUP prevents instances from booting

Status in OpenStack Compute (nova):
  In Progress
Status in openstack-ansible:
  Confirmed
Status in oslo.service:
  In Progress
Status in tripleo:
  Won't Fix

Bug description:
  When trying to boot a new instance at a compute-node, where nova-
  compute received SIGHUP(the SIGHUP is used as a trigger for reloading
  mutable options), it always failed.

    ========== nova/compute/manager.py ==============
      def cancel_all_events(self):
          if self._events is None:
              LOG.debug('Unexpected attempt to cancel events during shutdown.')
              return
          our_events = self._events
          # NOTE(danms): Block new events
          self._events = None                    <--- Set self._events to
"None"

    This will cause a NovaException when prepare_for_instance_event() was
called.
    It's the cause of the failure of network allocation.

      ========== nova/compute/manager.py ==============
      def prepare_for_instance_event(self, instance, event_name):
          if self._events is None:
              # NOTE(danms): We really should have a more specific error
              # here, but this is what we use for our default error case
              raise exception.NovaException('In shutdown, no new events '
                                            'can be scheduled')