The [placement] section is still necessary for nova.conf to configure
how nova talks to the placement service. As it says in there you are
configuring "access to the Placement service".

So I'm pretty sure this is not a bug, and will mark it as such. However,
if I've missed your point, please respond with more info.

** Changed in: nova

  [placement] install and configure controller node in nova (STEIN)

Status in OpenStack Compute (nova):
  Invalid

Bug description:
  Hi guys,

  I'm working with the doc:
  https://docs.openstack.org/nova/stein/install/controller-install-
  ubuntu.html#install-and-configure-components

  [x] This doc is inaccurate in this way:

  Obviously, the service nova-placement, and with it the creation of the
endpoints and the user placement a.s.o. are eliminated.
  However, there is still the [placement] section in the document to configure
the /etc/nova/nova.conf file.
  I think this section is obsolete.
  Regards,
  Robert

  Release: STEIN on 2019-03-27 10:24:01
  SHA: d7d7f115430c7ffeb88ec9dcd155ac69b29d7513
  Source:
https://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack/nova/tree/doc/source/install/controller-install-ubuntu.rst