[Expired for cloud-init because there has been no activity for 60 days.]

** Changed in: cloud-init

Engineering Team, which is subscribed to cloud-init.

  Unwanted cloud-init data written to syslog

Status in cloud-init:
  Expired

Bug description:
  This issue is specific to AWS Ubuntu instances.  Upon initial launch
  at the end of the cloud-init run I launch a secondary configuration
  management tool (Chef) that writes configs, keys, and secrets to it's
  chef-config.log.  Unfortunately; since Chef is wrapped in cloud-init
  the information is captured in standard out and copied to the cloud-
  init.log and the ubuntu syslog.  We then log all of our information to
  an aggregator.  The concern is that I would like to share the syslog
  since it contains other data with software engineers and other
  operations people.  I'm unable to do this and have to isolate the chef
  log, cloud-init log and the syslog.  Not optimal.

  I think the problem lies somewhere in here.

  https://cloudinit.readthedocs.io/en/latest/topics/logging.html

  "By default, cloud-init uses the logging configuration provided in
  /etc/cloud/cloud.cfg.d/05_logging.cfg. The default python logging
  configuration writes all cloud-init events with a priority of WARNING
  or higher to console, and writes all events with a level of DEBUG or
  higher to /var/log/cloud-init.log and via syslog."

https://github.com/cloud-init/cloud-init/blob/master/config/cloud.cfg.d/05_logging.cfg#L47-L48