Since this doesn't appear to be an issue with the charms, I'm going to
remove the project from being affected by this bug and the field
critical designation. However, feel free to re-add it should evidence
present itself otherwise.

** No longer affects: charm-neutron-api

  Port creation fails with error IP already allocated but the IP is
  available

Status in neutron:
  Incomplete

  =================
  When trying to create a new port using an available IP in the allocation pool
of a VLAN neutron network, creation fails with error:
  IP address 10.41.8.3 already allocated in subnet
afb678c6-a152-4f1d-8d77-03b9167520cc

  Precondition:
  =================
  A port using the same IP was previously created and then deleted.

  How to reproduce:
  =================
  I have the following network:

  $ openstack network show e30b938b-210d-45c2-894c-95c0c5d08f79

+---------------------------+------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+

+---------------------------+------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
  | admin_state_up            | UP

  | availability_zone_hints   |

  | availability_zones        |

  | created_at                | 2020-11-25T10:55:32Z

  | description               |

  | dns_domain                |

  | id                        | e30b938b-210d-45c2-894c-95c0c5d08f79

  | ipv4_address_scope        | None

  | ipv6_address_scope        | None

  | is_default                | False

  | is_vlan_transparent       | None

  | location                  | cloud='', project.domain_id=,
project.domain_name=, project.id='606e529ab1bc4b18a6d5dbf8735b9815',
project.name=, region_name='us-test', zone= |
  | mtu                       | 1500

  | name                      | test
                                                                              |
  | port_security_enabled     | True

  | project_id                | 606e529ab1bc4b18a6d5dbf8735b9815

  | provider:network_type     | vlan

  | provider:physical_network | physnet1

  | provider:segmentation_id  | 2220

  | qos_policy_id             | None

  | revision_number           | 11

  | router:external           | External

  | segments                  | None

  | shared                    | False

  | status                    | ACTIVE

  | subnets                   | afb678c6-a152-4f1d-8d77-03b9167520cc

  | tags                      |

  | updated_at                | 2021-01-20T11:27:57Z

+---------------------------+------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+

  And a subnet
  $ openstack subnet show afb678c6-a152-4f1d-8d77-03b9167520cc

+----------------------+------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+

+----------------------+------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
  | allocation_pools     | 10.41.8.3-10.41.8.4

  | cidr                 | 10.41.8.0/29

  | created_at           | 2020-11-25T10:55:34Z

  | description          |

  | dns_nameservers      |

  | dns_publish_fixed_ip | None

  | enable_dhcp          | True

  | gateway_ip           | 10.41.8.1

  | host_routes          |

  | id                   | afb678c6-a152-4f1d-8d77-03b9167520cc

  | ip_version           | 4

  | ipv6_address_mode    | None

  | ipv6_ra_mode         | None

  | location             | cloud='', project.domain_id=, project.domain_name=,
project.id='606e529ab1bc4b18a6d5dbf8735b9815', project.name=,
region_name='us-test', zone= |
  | name                 | test-subnet

  | network_id           | e30b938b-210d-45c2-894c-95c0c5d08f79

  | prefix_length        | None

  | project_id           | 606e529ab1bc4b18a6d5dbf8735b9815

  | revision_number      | 9

  | segment_id           | None

  | service_types        |

  | subnetpool_id        | None

  | tags                 |

  | updated_at           | 2021-01-20T11:27:57Z

+----------------------+------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+

  Create a port with a fixed ip:
  $ openstack port create --debug --network
e30b938b-210d-45c2-894c-95c0c5d08f79 --fixed-ip
subnet=test-subnet,ip-address=10.41.8.3 test-port

  Delete the same port
  $ openstack port delete a7a37bbf-129a-4980-a6e8-268c62ea552d

  Try to create again the same port with same IP and creation fail
  $ openstack port create --debug --network
e30b938b-210d-45c2-894c-95c0c5d08f79 --fixed-ip
subnet=test-subnet,ip-address=10.41.8.3 test-port
  ConflictException: 409: Client Error for url:
https://neutron.test.com:9696/v2.0/ports, IP address 10.41.8.3 already
allocated in subnet afb678c6-a152-4f1d-8d77-03b9167520cc

  ipallocations table show that the IP is actually available:

  mysql> select * from ipallocations where
network_id="e30b938b-210d-45c2-894c-95c0c5d08f79";

+--------------------------------------+------------+--------------------------------------+--------------------------------------+
  | port_id                              | ip_address | subnet_id
             | network_id                           |

+--------------------------------------+------------+--------------------------------------+--------------------------------------+
  | 319c6b0d-1970-485a-ade6-914b3fa6abc9 | 10.41.8.4  |
afb678c6-a152-4f1d-8d77-03b9167520cc | e30b938b-210d-45c2-894c-95c0c5d08f79 |

+--------------------------------------+------------+--------------------------------------+--------------------------------------+
  1 row in set (0.00 sec)

  mysql> select * from ipallocations where
subnet_id="afb678c6-a152-4f1d-8d77-03b9167520cc";

+--------------------------------------+------------+--------------------------------------+--------------------------------------+
  | port_id                              | ip_address | subnet_id
             | network_id                           |

+--------------------------------------+------------+--------------------------------------+--------------------------------------+
  | 319c6b0d-1970-485a-ade6-914b3fa6abc9 | 10.41.8.4  |
afb678c6-a152-4f1d-8d77-03b9167520cc | e30b938b-210d-45c2-894c-95c0c5d08f79 |

+--------------------------------------+------------+--------------------------------------+--------------------------------------+
  1 row in set (0.00 sec)

  Expected output
  =================
  Port is created successfully

  Actual output
  =================
  Port creation fails with:
  ConflictException: 409: Client Error for url:
https://neutron.test.com:9696/v2.0/ports, IP address 10.41.8.3 already
allocated in subnet afb678c6-a152-4f1d-8d77-03b9167520cc

  Version:
  =================
  This is a cloud bionic-ussuri using ovn deployed using charmed OpenStack

  Charms revisions:

  charm-neutron-api rev 288
  charm-neutron-api-plugin-ovn rev 1
  charm-ovn-central rev 1
  charm-ovn-chassis rev 4

  neutron pkgs versions:
  ii  neutron-common                  2:16.1.0-0ubuntu1~cloud0
  ii  neutron-fwaas-common            1:16.0.0-0ubuntu0.20.04.1~cloud0
  ii  neutron-plugin-ml2              2:16.1.0-0ubuntu1~cloud0
  ii  neutron-server                  2:16.1.0-0ubuntu1~cloud0

  Perceived severity