Public bug reported:

When nova-compute is uploading a snapshot of a Vm, it is streaming the content
of the image in a HTTP Chunked mode.
In this mode, there is no "Content-Lenght" header that is provided for the
image
(https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/HTTP/Headers/Transfer-Encoding#directives)
 so image_size is considered as zero

In the S3 backend a test is made based on the size.
In our case, the image_size is empty, so the upload will be done in singlepart
mode:
https://github.com/openstack/glance_store/blob/master/glance_store/_drivers/s3.py#L632

of course, be in singlepart might work, but it's less performant

Expected result

As a Vm snapshot is by design big, we should always send an image in
multipart

Actual result

The image is always sent in single part

** Affects: glance

Engineering Team, which is subscribed to Glance.

  size issue for multipart with s3 backend

Status in Glance: