Tracked in Github Issues as https://github.com/canonical/cloud-
init/issues/4021

** Bug watch added: github.com/canonical/cloud-init/issues #4021
   https://github.com/canonical/cloud-init/issues/4021

** Changed in: cloud-init

Engineering Team, which is subscribed to cloud-init.

  nocloud-net datasource attempts to read seed url before network is set
  up

Status in cloud-init:
  Expired

Bug description:
  I'm using the nocloud-net data source with Ubuntu 22.04 server
  (ubuntu-22.04.1-live-server-amd64.iso). Apparently the data source
  attempts to download the meta-data file from the supplied "seedfrom"
  URL regardless of whether the network configuration has actually
  finished.

  In my particular use case it takes about ten seconds until the network
  interface is configured (maybe the DHCP server is a bit slow).
  Meanwhile, the nocloud-net data source will do ten retries to download
  the meta-data URL (with 1 second delay between retries). So there is a
  race; and as result the auto-installation will only work in a few
  cases.

  I'm booting the auto-install system with a kernel command line ending like
"ds=nocloud-net\;s=http://192.168.1.2:8095/\;local-hostname=somehost";.
  I'll try to save and transfer the cloud-init.log file next time this happens.