This bug was fixed in the package nova - 2:17.0.13-0ubuntu5.4

---------------
nova (2:17.0.13-0ubuntu5.4) bionic; urgency=medium

  * Update keypairs when saving an instance (LP: #1843708)
    - d/p/objects-Update-keypairs-when-saving-an-instance.patch

 -- Zhang Hua <joshua.zh...@canonical.com>  Thu, 27 Apr 2023 04:21:53
+0800

** Changed in: nova (Ubuntu Bionic)

  [SRU] Key-pair is not updated during the rebuild

Status in Ubuntu Cloud Archive:
  New
Status in Ubuntu Cloud Archive rocky series:
  Won't Fix
Status in Ubuntu Cloud Archive stein series:
  Fix Released
Status in Ubuntu Cloud Archive train series:
  Fix Released
Status in Ubuntu Cloud Archive ussuri series:
  Fix Released
Status in OpenStack Compute (nova):
  Fix Released
Status in OpenStack Compute (nova) queens series:
  Fix Released
Status in OpenStack Compute (nova) rocky series:
  Fix Released
Status in OpenStack Compute (nova) stein series:
  Fix Released
Status in OpenStack Compute (nova) train series:
  Fix Released
Status in OpenStack Compute (nova) ussuri series:
  Fix Released
Status in nova package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid
Status in nova source package in Bionic:
  Fix Released
Status in nova source package in Focal:
  Fix Released

Bug description:
  [Impact]

  During rebuilds, the customer was unable to update the instance's
  keypair.

  [Test Case]

  - create a bionic openstack test env

  - choose the key 'testkey' to create an instance

  openstack keypair create mykey --public-key ~/.ssh/id_rsa.pub
  openstack keypair create testkey --public-key /home/ubuntu/testkey.pub
  openstack server create --flavor m1.small --image jammy --key-name testkey
--network=$(openstack network show private -f value -c id)  i1

  - create a new instance from the snapshot and choose a different
  keypair 'mykey' at rebuild time

  openstack --os-compute-api-version 2.54 server rebuild --image jammy
--key-name mykey --name i1 i1
  sudo ip netns exec qrouter-xxx ssh ubuntu@192.168.21.4 -i ~/testkey.priv -v
  sudo ip netns exec qrouter-xxx ssh ubuntu@192.168.21.4 -i ~/id_rsa -v

  the new instance should accept the new key and reject the old key, but
  the result is the new instance rejects the new key but old key still
  works.

  [Regression Potential]

  This fix 6a7a78a44 is already in stable/queens and all versions since
  queens, bionic uses 17.0.13 rather than stable/queens, we just SRU
  this fix to 17.0.13 so there can't be any regression theoretically. On
  the other hand, code change is limited to _save_keypairs according to

https://review.opendev.org/c/openstack/nova/+/683043/19/nova/objects/instance.py
  so the regressions is also limited in _save_keypairs . The test will
  also ensure that other logic beyond _save_keypairs. I have tested this
  fix, it works. so I think it's safe.

  [Others]

  Original Bug Description Below
  ===========

  When we want to rebuild an instance and change the keypair we can specified
it with :
  openstack --os-compute-api-version 2.54 server rebuild --image "Debian 10"
--key-name key1 instance1

  This comes from this implementation :
  https://review.opendev.org/#/c/379128/

https://specs.openstack.org/openstack/nova-specs/specs/queens/implemented/rebuild-keypair-reset.html

  But when rebuilding the instance, Cloud-Init will set the key in
authorized_keys from
  http://169.254.169.254/openstack/latest/meta_data.json

  And this meta_data.json uses the keys from instance_extra tables
  But the keypair will be updated in the 'instances' table but not in the
'instance_extra' table.

  So the keypair is not updated inside the VM

  May be this is the function for saving the keypair, but the save() do nothing
:

https://opendev.org/openstack/nova/src/branch/master/nova/objects/instance.py#L714

  Steps to reproduce
  ==================

  - Deploy a DevStack
  - Boot an instance with keypair key1
  - Rebuild it with key2
  - A nova show will show the key_name key2, keypairs object in table
instance_extra is not updated and you cannot connect with key2 to the instance

  Expected result
  Connecte to the Vm with the new keypair added during the rebuild call

  Actual result
  The keypair added during the rebuild call is not set in the VM

  Environment