I package yara and plaso for openSUSE.  The latest version of plaso (1.5 in
feature freeze) uses yara-python (or python-yara)

I've built yara-python (as well as libyara3).

Plaso depends on yara.YARA_VERSION variable, but it isn't there:

==== python interactive shell
>>> import yara

>>> print(yara.__file__)
/usr/lib64/python2.7/site-packages/yara.so

>>> print(yara.YARA_VERSION)
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module> AttributeError: 'module' object has
no attribute 'YARA_VERSION'

>>> print(yara.__doc__)
This module allows you to apply YARA rules to files or strings.

For complete documentation please visit:
https://plusvic.github.io/yara

Plaso is depending on that variable in its dependency check.

I looked at the sample spec files that are provided and I don't see
anything I did wrong.

My spec file is at:
https://build.opensuse.org/package/view_file/security:forensics/yara/yara.spec?expand=1

Can anyone provide insight?