Hello John

To add to Chris' email:

Do take a look at
http://hadoop.apache.org/docs/current/hadoop-yarn/hadoop-yarn-site/WritingYarnApplications.html
   - this is probably a bit of date.
   - the actual source code of distributed-shell in the source tree would be
the best guideline to follow after taking a brief look at the link above.

Compatibility
  - 0.23 and 2.0 are similar to a large extent but there are differences - not
sure if it is possible to code for compatibility.
  - To get apis into a relatively stable state, a lot of changes have gone in
since 2.0.4 was released

Task output files
  - the files are served by an auxiliary service ( mapreduce shuffle service )
running within the NodeManager.
  - The NM needs to be configured to tell it which aux services to start up.
  - The protocols support some level of information passing via the service
data constructs.
  - the service is notified when an application completes such that it can be
used to delete data if needed

-- Hitesh