Andrew
  Thanks for bringing up the issue of moving to Java8. Java8 is important
However, I am not seeing a strong motivation for changing the major number.
We can go to Java8 in  the 2.series.
The classpath issue for Hadoop-11656 is too minor to force a major number
change (no pun intended).

Lets separate the issue of Java8 and Hadoop 3.0

sanjay