Karthik, thanks for starting the thread.

Here's my $0.02 based on the experience of working on a feature branch
while adding reservations (YARN-1051).

Overall a +1 for the approach.

The couple of pain points we faced were:
1) Merge cost with trunk
2) Lack of CI in the feature branch

The migration to git & keeping the feature branch in continuous sync with
trunk mitigated (1) and with Allen's new test-patch.sh addressing (2),
branches for features especially if used for all major features seems like
an excellent choice.

-Subru