Thanks Zhijie. Inline.

On Wed, Apr 29, 2015 at 9:43 PM, Zhijie Shen <zs...@hortonworks.com> wrote:

> My 2 cents:
>
> Branch maintenance cost should be fine if we have few features to be
> developed in branches. However, if there're too many, each other branch may
> be blind to most of latest code change from others, and trunk/branch-2
> becomes stale. That said, with the increasing adopting of branch
> development, it's likely to increase the cost of merging each branch back.

Addressing conflicts with other work on trunk/branch-2 is something we
handle today as well. In case of development on branches, we essentially
pay the cost at merge time instead of amortizing it on every commit.

Folks could rebase more frequently (atleast at milestones) and try
amortizing at rebase times?

> Some features may last more than one releases, such as RM restarting
> before and timeline service now. Even if it's developed in a branch, we may
> want to merge its milestones such as phase 1, phase 2 back to
> trunk/branch-2 to align with some release before it's completely done.
> Moreover, my experience is that the longer a feature stays in the branch,
> the more conflicts we have to merge. Hence, it may not be a good idea to
> hold a feature in the branch too long before merging it back.

For features that have multiple phases, where a phase could benefit from
wider adoption and be included in a release, I think it is perfectly
reasonable to merge a phase in.

In case of RM restart, the non-preserving restart could have been merged
first.

--
Karthik Kambatla
Software Engineer, Cloudera Inc.