There seems to be some incorrect assumptions on why the application had an
issue. For rolling upgrade deployments, the application bundles the client-side
jars that it was compiled against and uses them in its classpath and expects to
be able to communicate with upgraded servers. Given that hadoop-common is a
monolithic jar, it ends up being used on both client-side and server-side. The
problem in this case was caused by the fact that the ResourceManager was
generating the credentials file with a format understood only by hadoop-common
from 3.x. For an application compiled against 2.x and has *only* hadoop-common
from 2.x on its classpath, trying to read this file fails.

This is not about whether internal implementations can change for non-public
APIs. The file format for the Credential file in this scenario is *not*
internal implementation especially when you can have different versions of the
library trying to read the file. If an older client is talking to a newer
versioned server, the general backward compat assumption is that the client
should receive a response that it can parse and understand. In this scenario,
the credentials file provided to the YARN app by the RM should have been
written out with the older version or at the very least been readable by the
older hadoop-common.jar.

In any case, does anyone have any specific concerns with changing
LimitedPrivate({"MapReduce"}) to Public?

And sure, if we are saying that Hadoop-3.x requires all apps built against it
to go through a full re-compile as well as downtime as existing apps may no
longer work out of the box, lets call it out very explicitly in the Release
notes.

— Hitesh